The National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) recommends that you do a roof inspection at least two times a year – spring and fall. Below are the interior and exterior checks that should be performed.
- Signs of water damage or leaking
- Dark spots and trails
- Places where the roof deck is sagging or uneven
- Outside light shining through the roof, especially in the corners and crevices
- Visually inspect your roof for cracked, torn, bald or missing shingles.
- Scan the roof for loose material or wear around chimneys, vents, pipes or other penetrations.
- Check for an excessive amount of shingle granules in the gutters, as this is a sign of advanced wear.
- Look for signs of moisture, rot or mold. Mold, fungi and bacteria can grow quickly – within 24 to 48 hours of a water-related problem.
- Ensure all drains, gutters, and downspouts are open and allow water to exit, and all gutters and downspouts are free of debris.
If you have a need for residential or commercial roofing, call Don Stauss Roofing Services today at 352-236-2959.